Sunday, July 12, 2009

Home and Hope

Today I hit a wall. I’m completely exhausted. What day of the week is it? Is it day 33 or 34 of our journey? Who’s counting?? Well, I am. In fact, we all are. It’s with a mixture of sadness that we’ll end this trip and Cultural Sociology course because it’s been a wild, fantastic ride. But, it’s not home. And, let me just say it…I miss home.

I feel so fortunate to have seen this amazing, beautiful country of ours. We've met so many wonderful, interesting people. We've seen a lot, discussed a lot, and learned a lot! And, I feel luckier still to have to have shared this experience with such amazing students. They are lovely--funny, smart, caring, hardworking, eager-to-learn young people. And, as I’ve said in other blogs, they give me hope for the future of our sometimes crazy world. It’s been a joy to travel with Ken, too. You can probably tell from his blog what a creative and smart guy he is. From a distance people sometimes only see his “cool” -- but he’s so much more than that. He’s a big-hearted person who inspires me, every day, to be a better teacher and a better person. I’m lucky to know him and Belmont is so, so lucky to have him. That said, “There is nothing half so pleasant as coming home again" (Margaret Elizabeth Sangster). We'll see everyone soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment